Benjamin Graham taught that Intelligent Investors must do a thorough fundamental analysis of investment opportunities to determine their intrinsic value and inherent risk. This is best done by utilizing a systematic approach to analysis that will provide investors with a sense of how a specific company compares to another company or by reviewing the 5 Most Undervalued Companies for the Defensive Investor – February 2015. By using the ModernGraham method one can review a company’s historical accomplishments and determine an intrinsic value that can be compared across industries. What follows is a specific look at how Tripadvisor Inc. (TRIP) fares in the ModernGraham valuation model.
Company Profile (obtained from Google Finance): TripAdvisor, Inc. is an online travel company that enables users to have a planned trip. TripAdvisor, Inc. features reviews and advice on destinations, accommodations, restaurants and activities. It also enables consumers to book hotels, vacation rentals, airline tickets, vacation packages, destination services and cruises. Its Websites include http://www.tripadvisor.com for the United States, http://www.tripadvisor.com.ve for Venezuela, http://www.tripadvisor.com.pe for Peru, http://www.tripadvisor.cl for Chile, http://www.tripadvisor.co for Columbia, http://www.tripadvisor.com.eg for Egypt, http://www. tripadvisor.com.my for Malaysia, http://www.tripadvisor.tw for Taiwan, http://www.tripadvisor.com.ar for Argentina, http://www.tripadvisor.gr for Greece, http://www.tripadvisor.ru for Russia and http://www.tripadvisor.co.id for Indonesia, among others. It owns Rove, a personal journal app that enables users log activities, including places they have visited and photos they have taken.
Defensive Investor – must pass at least 6 of the following 7 tests: Score = 1/7
- Adequate Size of Enterprise – market capitalization of at least $2 billion – PASS
- Sufficiently Strong Financial Condition – current ratio greater than 2 – FAIL
- Earnings Stability – positive earnings per share for at least 10 straight years – FAIL
- Dividend Record – has paid a dividend for at least 10 straight years – FAIL
- Earnings Growth – earnings per share has increased by at least 1/3 over the last 10 years using 3 year averages at beginning and end of period – FAIL
- Moderate PEmg ratio – PEmg is less than 20 – FAIL
- Moderate Price to Assets – PB ratio is less than 2.5 or PB x PEmg is less than 50 – FAIL
Enterprising Investor – must pass at least 4 of the following 5 tests or be suitable for a defensive investor: Score = 4/5
- Sufficiently Strong Financial Condition, Part 1 – current ratio greater than 1.5 – PASS
- Sufficiently Strong Financial Condition, Part 2 – Debt to Net Current Assets ratio less than 1.1 – PASS
- Earnings Stability – positive earnings per share for at least 5 years – PASS
- Dividend Record – currently pays a dividend – FAIL
- Earnings growth – EPSmg greater than 5 years ago – PASS
|Value Based on 3% Growth||$20.52|
|Value Based on 0% Growth||$12.03|
|Market Implied Growth Rate||27.11%|
|Net Current Asset Value (NCAV)||-$0.60|
Balance Sheet – December 2014
Earnings Per Share
Earnings Per Share – ModernGraham
Tripadvisor Inc. does not pay a dividend.
Tripadvisor Inc. is suitable for the Enterprising Investor but not for the Defensive Investor. The Defensive Investor is concerned by the short operating history as a public company, the lack of dividends along with the high PEmg and PB ratios, while the Enterprising Investor is only concerned by the lack of dividends. As a result, Enterprising Investors following the ModernGraham approach based on Benjamin Graham’s methods should feel very comfortable proceeding with further research and comparing the company to other opportunities. From a valuation side of things, the company appears to be overvalued after growing its EPSmg (normalized earnings) from $0.55 in 2010 to only $1.42 for 2014. This level of demonstrated growth does not support the market’s implied estimate of 27.11% earnings growth and leads the ModernGraham valuation model, based on Benjamin Graham’s formula, to return an estimate of intrinsic value below the price.
Be sure to check out previous ModernGraham valuations of Tripadvisor Inc. (TRIP) for greater perspective!
The next part of the analysis is up to individual investors, and requires discussion of the company’s prospects. What do you think? What value would you put on Tripadvisor Inc. (TRIP)? Where do you see the company going in the future? Is there a company you like better? Leave a comment on our Facebook page or mention @ModernGraham on Twitter to discuss.
Disclaimer: The author did not hold a position in Tripadvisor Inc. (TRIP) or in any other company mentioned in this article at the time of publication and had no intention of changing that position within the next 72 hours. Logo taken from Wikipedia for the sole purpose of identifying the company; this article is not affiliated with the company in any manner.