On the first Friday of every month, we will screen our database for the 10 companies with the highest dividend yield that are suitable for the enterprising investor.Â These 10 companies will be placed in a mock portfolio and rebalanced to have a 10% allocation to each company.Â The starting value of the portfolio is $100,000.00.Â Dividends will be reinvested in the portfolio.
To see the portfolio, you can view this google spreadsheet.
This month’s screen resulted in the following companies being targeted.
- EVEP â€“ EV Energy Partners (11.64% dividend yield)
- PMD â€“ Psychemedics Corp (9.6%)
- NRP â€“ Natural Resource Partners LP (9.05%)
- BGS â€“ B&G Foods Inc (7.94%)
- SPH â€“ Suburban Propane Partners LP (7.47%)
- ISH â€“ International Shipholding Corp (6.02%)
- NPK â€“ National Presto Industries (5.96%)
- BMY â€“ Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (4.90%)
- OLN â€“ Olin Corp (4.77%)
- DD â€“ E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company (4.74%)
The significant difference between this month and last is that I have decided to include limited partnerships in the screen after some readers suggested I do so.Â As a result, EVEP, NRP, and SPH were added and PFE, MRK, and PM were dropped from the portfolio.
The following mock transactions were made this month:
- Received $0.16/share dividend on 565 shares of PFE for $90.40 (before sale).
- Received $0.20/share dividend on 573 shares of OLN for $114.60.
- Received $0.41/share dividend on 302 shares of DD for $123.82.
- Received $0.50/share dividend on 290 shares of ISH for $145.00.
- Sold 565 shares of PFE for $10,266.05, gain of 9.8%.
- Sold 311 shares of MRK for $11,261.31, gain of 14.5%.
- Sold 202 shares of PM for $9,714.18, gain of 1.54%.
- Sold 84 shares of PMD for $516.60, gain of 0.3%.
- Sold 14 shares of BGS for $119.84, gain of 4.52%.
- Sold 20 shares of BMY for $506.20, gain of 12.39%.
- Sold 1 share of DD for $34.58, gain of 7.59%.
- Bought 24 shares of ISH for $797.04.
- Bought 1 share of NPK for $93.17.
- Bought 48 shares of OLN for $804.96.
- Bought 402 shares of EVEP for $10,391.70.
- Bought 437 shares of NRP for $10,404.97.
- Bought 237 shares of SPH for $10,404.30.
Here is the portfolio in comparison to the DJIA and the S&P 500:
|Dividend Portfolio||DJIA||S&P 500|
|Since Inception (9/30/09)||4.13%||6.51%||3.65%|
|Quarter To Date||4.13%||6.51%||3.65%|
Photo provided by Acomment.
FULL Disclosure:Â At the time of publication, author held a long position in NPK and PFE.