Benjamin Graham taught that Intelligent Investors must do a thorough fundamental analysis of investment opportunities to determine their intrinsic value and inherent risk. Â This isÂ best done by utilizing a systematic approach to analysis that will provide investors with a sense of how a specific company compares to another companyÂ or by reviewing theÂ 5 Lowest PEmg Comapnies for Defensive Investors.Â By using theÂ ModernGraham methodÂ one can review a company’s historical accomplishments and determine an intrinsic value that can be compared across industries. Â What follows is a specific look at how ADT Corporation (ADT)Â fares in theÂ ModernGraham valuation model.
Company ProfileÂ (obtained fromÂ Google Finance):Â The ADT Corporation (ADT) is a provider of electronic security, interactive home and business automation, and monitoring services for residences and small businesses in the United States and Canada. The Companyâ€™s products and services include home and business solutions, and home health services. The Companyâ€™s brands include ADT, ADT Pulse and Companion Service. As of September 31, 2013, the Company offers a variety of alternate and back-up alarm transmission methods including cellular, digital radio and broadband Internet. On August 2, 2013, the Company acquired Devcon Security Holdings, Inc. In November 2013, Kastle Systems International announced that it had acquired Mutual Central Alarm Services and Stat-Land Security Systems from ADT Corporation.
Defensive Investor – must pass at least 6 of the following 7 tests: Score = 3/7
- Adequate Size of Enterprise – market capitalization of at least $2 billion – PASS
- Sufficiently Strong Financial Condition – current ratio greater than 2 – FAIL
- Earnings Stability – positive earnings per share for at least 10 straight years – FAIL
- Dividend Record – has paid a dividend for at least 10 straight years – FAIL
- Earnings Growth – earnings per share has increased by at least 1/3 over the last 10 years using 3 year averages at beginning and end of period – FAIL
- Moderate PEmg ratio – PEmg is less than 20 – PASS
- Moderate Price to Assets – PB ratio is less than 2.5 or PB x PEmg is less than 50 – PASS
Enterprising Investor – must pass at least 4 of the following 5 tests or be suitable for a defensive investor: Score = 3/5
- Sufficiently Strong Financial Condition, Part 1 – current ratio greater than 1.5 – FAIL
- Sufficiently Strong Financial Condition, Part 2 – Debt to Net Current Assets ratio less than 1.1 – FAIL
- Earnings Stability – positive earnings per share for at least 5 years – PASS
- Dividend Record – currently pays a dividend – PASS
- Earnings growth – EPSmg greater than 5 years ago – PASS
|Value Based on 3% Growth||$24.96|
|Value Based on 0% Growth||$14.63|
|Market Implied Growth Rate||5.30%|
|Net Current Asset Value (NCAV)||-$35.35|
Balance Sheet – 3/28/2014
Earnings Per Share
Earnings Per Share – ModernGraham
ADT Corporation does not qualify for either the Defensive Investor or the Enterprising Investor. Â The company’s history as a publicly traded company is not long enough for the Defensive Investor, and the Enterprising Investor is concerned with the high level of debt relative to the current assets. Â As a result, value investors following the ModernGraham approach based on Benjamin Graham’s methods should explore other opportunities through theÂ ModernGraham Valuation Index. Â From a valuation perspective, the company appears undervalued after growing its EPSmg (normalized earnings) from $0.80 in 2010 to an estimated $1.72 for 2014. Â This level of demonstrated growth surpasses the market’s implied estimate of 5.3% earnings growth and leads the ModernGraham valuation model to return an estimate of intrinsic value that is above the market price.
The next part of the analysis is up to individual investors, and requires discussion of the company’s prospects. Â What do you think? Â What value would you put on ADT Corporation (ADT)? Â Where do you see the company going in the future? Â Is there a company you like better? Â Leave aÂ comment on ourÂ Facebook pageÂ or mentionÂ @ModernGrahamÂ on Twitter to discuss.
Disclaimer: Â The author did not hold a position in ADT Corporation (ADT) at the time of publication and had no intention of changing that position within the next 72 hours.
Logo taken from wikipedia; this article is not affiliated with the company in any manner.