Benjamin Graham taught that Intelligent Investors must do a thorough fundamental analysis of investment opportunities to determine their intrinsic value and inherent risk. Â This isÂ best done by utilizing a systematic approach to analysis that will provide investors with a sense of how a specific company compares to another companyÂ or by reviewing theÂ 5 Most Undervalued Companies for the Defensive Investor – July 2015.Â By using theÂ ModernGraham methodÂ one can review a company’s historical accomplishments and determine an intrinsic value that can be compared across industries. Â What follows is a stock analysis showing a specific look at how Mallinckrodt PLC (MNK)Â fares in theÂ ModernGraham valuation model.
Company ProfileÂ (obtained fromÂ Google Finance): Mallinckrodt public limited company (Mallinckrodt) is a global specialty pharmaceuticals company. The Company develops, manufactures, markets and distributes both branded and generic specialty pharmaceuticals, active pharmaceutical ingredients (API) and diagnostic imaging agents. The Company uses its API products in the manufacture of its generic pharmaceuticals and also sells them to other pharmaceutical companies. The Company operates through two segments: Specialty Pharmaceuticals and Global Medical Imaging. The Companyâ€™s Specialty Pharmaceuticals segment develops, manufactures and sells, through its Brands business, drugs, including EXALGO (hydromorphone HCl) Extended-Release Tablets and GABLOFEN. The Companyâ€™s Global Medical Imaging segment develops, manufactures and markets contrast media and delivery systems (CMDS). The Company offers INOMAX Total Care (inhaled nitric oxide), a neonatal critical care product.
Defensive Investor – must pass at least 6 of the following 7 tests: Score = 2/7
- Adequate Size of Enterprise – market capitalization of at least $2 billion -Â PASS
- Sufficiently Strong Financial Condition – current ratio greater than 2 -Â PASS
- Earnings Stability – positive earnings per share for at least 10 straight years -Â FAIL
- Dividend Record – has paid a dividend for at least 10 straight years -Â FAIL
- Earnings Growth – earnings per share has increased by at least 1/3 over the last 10 years using 3 year averages at beginning and end of period -Â FAIL
- Moderate PEmg ratio – PEmg is less than 20 -Â FAIL
- Moderate Price to Assets – PB ratio is less than 2.5 or PB x PEmg is less than 50 -Â FAIL
Enterprising Investor – must pass at least 4Â of the following 5 tests or be suitable for a defensive investor: Score = 2/5
- Sufficiently Strong Financial Condition, Part 1 – current ratio greater than 1.5 -Â PASS
- Sufficiently Strong Financial Condition, Part 2 – Debt to Net Current Assets ratio less than 1.1 -Â FAIL
- Earnings Stability – positive earnings per share for at least 5 years -Â FAIL
- Dividend Record – currently pays a dividend -Â FAIL
- Earnings growth – EPSmg greater than 5 years ago -Â PASS
|Value Based on 3% Growth||$16.34|
|Value Based on 0% Growth||$9.58|
|Market Implied Growth Rate||51.51%|
|Net Current Asset Value (NCAV)||-$46.15|
Balance Sheet – MarchÂ 2015
Earnings Per Share
Earnings Per ShareÂ – ModernGraham
Mallinckrodt does not pay a dividend.
MallinckrodtÂ PLCÂ does notÂ qualifyÂ for eitherÂ the Defensive Investor and the Enterprising Investor. Â The Defensive Investor is concerned with the short history as a stand alone company, lack of dividends, and the high PEmg and PB ratios. Â The Enterprising Investor is concerned with the level of debt relative to the net current assets, the lack of dividends, and the lack of earnings stability over the last five years. Â As a result, all valueÂ investorsÂ following the ModernGraham approach based on Benjamin Graham’s methods should explore other opportunities or proceed with a speculative attitude. Â As for a valuation,Â the company appears to be overvalued after growingÂ itsÂ EPSmg (normalized earnings) from $0.87Â in 2011 to an estimated $1.13Â for 2015. Â This level of earnings growth does not support the market’s implied estimate of 51.51% annual earnings growth over the next 7-10 years, andÂ leadsÂ the ModernGrahamÂ valuation model, based on Benjamin Graham’s formula, to return an estimate of intrinsic value falling belowÂ the price.
The next part of the analysis is up to individual investors, and requires discussion of the company’s prospects. Â What do you think? Â What value would you put onÂ Mallinckrodt PLC (MNK)? Â Where do you see the company going in the future? Â Is there a company you like better? Â Leave aÂ comment on ourÂ Facebook pageÂ or mentionÂ @ModernGrahamÂ on Twitter to discuss.
Disclaimer: Â The author did not hold aÂ position in any company mentioned in this articleÂ at the time of publication and had no intention of changing that position within the next 72 hours. Â Logo taken from Wikipedia for the sole purpose of identifying the company; this article is not affiliated with the company in any manner.